So, you love to teach, and you love to share your knowledge of your subject with a receptive audience. Great. Now, what if you had a chance to expand your audience and reach out to a global one? And, would it excite you if we told you that you don’t have to spend a fortune-in fact, you don’t need to spend a dime-to teach to a distinct student community from around the world?
Anyone who wants to take up teaching or has already been teaching has the ambition of sharing their learning and knowledge with a wide audience. You may be a teacher or a presenter, or you may be a professional, even a student, or a housewife, or a skilled employee, or just anything, who has knowledge that you think is worthy of being shared with other people. It is now a lot easier to do this. All that you need to do is formulate your own courses in the areas of your interest and upload them with a learning platform.
The next thing that happens is that these learning platforms, which have a global reach, market your courses to an audience that wants to listen to what you have to say about your topic of interest, and is willing to pay for it. The learning platforms then pay you out for every course of yours that they sell on their platforms. These outstanding features make this a highly beneficial partnership:
- You can teach any subject of your liking, and as your viewership goes up, you earn, thus creating a new avenue for supplementing your income
- You gain popularity over the Net. Many instructors have become very heard, seen and talked about with a global community of learners
- It costs simply nothing to upload your courses
- You keep earning as long as the course keeps getting sold. Your courses have no expiry date!
- Finally, you can sell the same course to more than one learning platform.
Still, some caution is advised
Now, aren’t these the perfect reasons for you to start publishing and selling your courses right away? Well, everything looks set, but be advised that some factors need to be taken into consideration before you embark on this step. We are not trying to frighten or put you off, but like all other endeavors, teaching online has its dynamics.
For a start, please do not make the blunder of mistaking these platforms for get-rich schemes! You may get registered with these platforms in a few minutes, but it takes time to get registered in the minds of your learners. We suggest that you take these factors into consideration before you start publishing and selling your courses online:
- Have clarity on what you want to teach
- Make your course structured
- Your course material should be interactive and should make learning fun. Use real-life examples in abundance, because these help the learner relate to the learning better. There is no better means to making an impression with your learners than these
- Discipline yourself, because this work doesn’t have a supervisor. Being one’s own boss can be a double-edged sword which could work either for or against you, depending on how you handle it. If you don’t leverage your time efficiently, you could end up having a big difficulty balancing your different worlds.
A few worth trying out
So now, which are the platforms into which you can publish and sell your courses? We present a set of seven such platforms, which accept course materials from experts such as you for free.
Udemy: A highly popular platform for millions of students, Udemy is the most preferred choice for publishing and selling courses online. It accepts courses from experts in a wide array of areas.
Simpliv: A learning platform that has an enormous collection of online video library; Simpliv is a Fremont, CA-based company that offers ample opportunity for experts to publish and sell their courses. The revenue sharing formula is quite reasonable with this company.
Tutorme: A provider that offers good opportunity for experts to offer their learning, Tutorme makes working with it easy for tutors.
StudyGate: Calling itself a hub for learners and teachers, StudyGate is an enthusiastic provider of opportunities for experts who want to share what they know about their areas of interest.
WizIQ: WizIQ is a virtual classroom where you can upload your courses for free and reach out to a wide audience. Its tutors still complain about problems with the speed and other issues, which we would have expected a company founded back in 2007 to rectify!
LearnHowNow: LearnHowNow is an interactive and enthusiastic platform that gives experts the chance to upload not only their courses free, but their articles and webinars as well. Its site is welcoming and interactive.
The Graduate: Hong Kong based company that considers itself a matchmaker for tutors into a tutoring marketplace. It offers opportunities for teachers to reach out to a student community and earn decently without having to pay for joining.